PUBLISHED PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES
38. Kennedy LE, Misyak S, Hosig K, Duffey KJ, Ju Y, Serrano E. The Slow Down Program: A mixed methods pilot study of a mindfulness-based stress management and nutrition education program for mothers. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2018. 38.
37. Hedrick VE, Myers EA, Zoeller JM, Duffey KJ, Davy, BM. Validation of a Rapid Method to Assess Habitual Beverage Intake Patterns. Nutrients. 2018. 10(1), 83; doi:10.3390/nu10010083
36. Duffey KJ, and Poti J. Modeling the Effect of Replacing Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption with Water on Energy Intake, HBI Score, and Obesity Prevalence. Nutrients. 2016;8(7):pii E395. [full article]
35. Farris A, Misyak S, Duffey KJ, Atzaba-Poria N, Hosig K, David GC, McFerrin M, and Serrano E. Elementary parent perceptions of packing lunches and the national school lunch program . J Chil Nutr & Man. 2016;40(1):1682-9. [full article]
34. Duffey KJ, and Davy B. The Healthy Beverage Index is associated with reduced cardio-metabolic risk in US Adults: A preliminary analysis. JAND. 2015, Oct;115(10):1682-9.
33. Farris AR, Misyak S, Duffey KJ, Davis GC, Hosig K, Atzaba-Poria N, McFerren MM, Serrano EL. A Comparison of Fruits, Vegetables, Sugar-Sweetened Beverages, and Desserts in the Packed Lunches of Elementary Children. Childhood Obesity. 2015, March 6. [Epub ahead of print]
32. Meyer KA, Boone-Heinonen J, Duffey KJ, Rodriguez DA, Kiefe CI, Lewis CE, Gordon-Larsen P. Combined measure of neighborhood food and physical activity environments and weight-related outcomes: The CARDIA Study. Health Place. 2015. 33:9-18. DOI 10.1016/j.healthplace.2015.01.004.
31. Duffey KJ, and Sutherland, LS. Adult consumers of cranberry juice cocktail have healthier cardio-metabolic profiles compared to non-consumers. Nutrition Research. 2014.
30. Farris AR, Misyak S, Duffey KJ, Davis GC, Hosig K, Atzaba-Poria N, McFerren MM, Serrano EL. Nutritional Comparison of packed and school lunches in pre-kindergarten and kindergarten children following the implementation of the 2012-2013 national school lunch program standards. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014 Nov-Dec;46(6):621-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2014.07.007.
29. Slining MM, Benjamin Neelon SE, and Duffey KJ. A review of state regulations to promote infant physical activity in child care. IJBNPA, 2014; 22(11):139. [Epub ahead of print] DOI: 10.1186/s12966-014-0139-3.
28. Duffey KJ, Slining MM, Benjamin Neelon SE. States lack physical activity policies in childcare consistent with recommendations, Childhood Obesity, 2014; 10(6);491-500. doi: 10.1089/chi.2014.0096.
27. Benjamin Neelon SE, Duffey KJ, and Slining MM. Regulations to Promote Healthy Sleep Practices in Childcare. Pediatrics,2014; 134(6):1167-74.doi: 10.1542/peds.2014-0578
26. Duffey KJ, Rivera J, and Popkin BM. (2014) Snacking behavior is prevalent in Mexico. Journal of Nutrition, 2014. 144(11):1843-9 doi:10.3945/jn.114.198192
25. Steffen L., Van Horn L., Daviglus D.L., Zhou X., Reis JP, Loria C., Jacobs DR., Wang H., Duffey KJ. A modified Mediterranean diet pattern is related to lower risk of incident metabolic syndrome over 25 years among young adults: the CARDIA Study. British Journal of Nutrition, 2014. 112:1634-1661 doi:10.1017/S0007114514002633
24. Pereira R, Souza AM, Duffey KJ, Sichieri AR and Popkin , BM. Beverages consumption in Brazil: results from the first National Dietary Survey. Public Health Nutrition, Published online: 27 August 2014. doi.org/10.1017/S1368980014001657 NIHMSID: NIHMS608929
23. Muth, MK, Karns SA, Zmuda M, Koyanagi, M, Coglaiti, MC, Duffey, KJ, Dunn, C, Jensen, H, and Gregory C. Price, Nutrition, Time, and Other Trade-offs: A Web-Based Food Value Analysis Application to Compare Foods at Different Levels of Preparation and Processing. Nutrition Today 2014;49(4):176-84.
22. Meyer KA, Guilkey DK, Ng SW, Duffey KJ, Popkin BM, Kiefe CI, Steffen LM, Shikany JM, Gordon-Larsen P. Sociodemographic differences in fast food price sensitivity. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Mar;174(3):434-42. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.13922.
21. Poti J, Duffey KJ, and Popkin BM. The association of fast food consumption with poor dietary outcomes and obesity among children: is it the fast food or the remainder of the diet? AJCN. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014 Jan;99(1):162-71.
20. Duffey KJ and Sutherland LS. Adult cranberry beverage consumers have healthier macronutrient intakes and measures of body composition compared to non-consumers: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2005-2008. Nutrients. 2013, Dec 4; 5(12); 4938-4949; doi:10.3390/nu5124938 [link]
19. Lee HS, Duffey KJ, and Popkin BM. The relationship between parental and child weight status by household structure in South Korea: 2007-2010. Nutrition & Diabetes, 2013 Jun 10;3:e73. doi: 10.1038/nutd.2013.16
18. Duffey KJ, Pereira RA, and Popkin BM. Prevalence and energy intake from snacking in Brazil: analysis of the first nationwide individual dietary survey. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2013, advance online publication. 1-7. Epub ahead of press, doi:10.1038/ejcn.2013.60
17. Duffey KJ, and Popkin BM. Causes of changes in energy intake among children in the US: 1977-2008. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2013. 44(2):e1-e8.
16. Pereira RA., Sichieri R., Duffey KJ, and Popkin BM. Sources of excessive saturated fat, trans fat and sugar consumption in Brazil: an analysis of the first Brazilian nationwide individual dietary survey. Public Health Nutrition. FirstView Article pp1-9.
15. Lee HS, Duffey KJ, and Popkin BM. Sodium and potassium intake patterns and trends in South Korea. Journal of Human Hypertension. 2012, Nov 15 (epub). doi:10.1038/jhh.2012.43
14. Lee HS, Duffey KJ, and Popkin B.M. South Korea’s Entry to the global food economy: Shifts in Consumption of Food between 1998 and 2009. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012;21 (4):618-629.
13. Duffey KJ, Steffen L., Van Horn L., Jacobs DR., and Popkin BM. Dietary patterns matter: diet beverages and cardiometabolic risk in the longitudinal Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study. 2012. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 95(4):909-15.
12. Duffey KJ, Huybrechts I, Mouratidou T, Libuda L, Kersting M, DeVriendt T, Gottrand F, Widhalm K., Dallongeville J, Hallström L, González-Gross M, DeHenauw S, Moreno LA, Popkin BM and on behalf of the HELENA Study group. Beverage consumption among European adolescents in the HELENA Study. 2012 Feb;66(2):244-52 doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2011.166. Epub 2011 Sep 28
11. Duffey KJ and Popkin BM. Energy Density, Portion Size and Eating Occasions: Contributions to Increased Energy intake in the US, 1977-2006. 2011. PLoS Medicine; 8(6):1-8. PMCID: PMC3125292
10. Duffey KJ, Gordon-Larsen P, Steffen LM, Jacobs DR., and Popkin BM. Drinking caloric beverages increases the risk of adverse cardiometabolic outcomes in The CARDIA Study. 2010. Am J Clin Nutr. Oct;92(4):954-9.
9. Duffey KJ and Popkin BM. Does hunger and satiety drive eating anymore? Increasing eating occasions and decreasing time between occasions in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010. May;91(5):1342-7.
8. Duffey KJ, Gordon-Larsen P., Shikany J., Guilkey D, Jacobs DR., Popkin BM. Food price and diet and health outcomes: 20 years of The CARDIA Study. Arch Intern Med. 2010. Mar 8;170(5):420-6.
7. Duffey KJ, Gordon-Larsen P, Steffen LM, Jacobs DR, Popkin BM. Regular consumption from fast food establishments relative to other restaurants is differentially associated with metabolic outcomes in young adults. Journal of Nutrition, 2009. 139(11):2113-18.
6. Duffey KJ, and Popkin BM. High Fructose Corn Syrup: Is this what’s for dinner? American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2008; 88(6): 1722S-1732S.
5. Duffey KJ, Gordon-Larsen P, Ayala GX, Popkin BM. Birthplace is associated with more adverse dietary profiles for US versus Foreign born Latino adults. Journal of Nutrition, 2008; 138(12): 2428-35.
4. Duffey KJ, and Popkin B. Shifts in Patterns and Consumption of Beverages between 1965 and 2002. Obesity Research. 2007; 15(11): 2739-47.
3. Duffey KJ, Gordon-Larsen P, Jacobs DR, Williams OD, Popkin BM. Differential associations between fast Food and restaurant consumption with three year change in BMI: The CARDIA Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2007; 85(1): 201-8.
2. Duffey KJ, and Popkin, BM. Adults with healthier dietary patterns have healthier beverage patterns. Journal of Nutrition. 2006; 136(11): 2901-7.
1. Popkin BM, Duffey KJ, Gordon-Larsen P. Environmental influences on food choice, physical activity and energy balance. Physiology & Behavior. 2005; 86(5): 603-13.
3. Hedrick V, Davy BM, and Duffey KJ. Is Beverage Consumption Related to Specific Dietary Patterns? Current Nutrition Research. 2014. DOI 10.1007/s13668-014-0109-z
2. Duffey KJ. Greater intake of Western fast food among Singaporean adults is associated with increased risk of diabetes and heart-diseased-related deaths. Evidence Based Nursing. 2012. DOI 10.1136/eb-2012-101006
1. Popkin BM. And Duffey KJ. (2010) Sugar and artificial sweeteners: seeking the sweet truth. In: Nutrition Guide for Physicians. Wilson, Ted, N.J. Temple, G.A. Bray, and M.B. Struble, eds. (New York: Humana Press).